Breakfast for Dinner

Ok...so who doesn't love breakfast?  Especially when you can have it for dinner!  I love eating breakfast for dinner...because normally breakfast is such a rushed meal, but when you have it for dinner, you can to relax and enjoy the goodness...

This week, well--last week, I ended up with another blog...and I've put off writing my entry as long as I could.  You see, I'm actually in the process of cooking THIS week's meal, so this post must be done!  This post comes from Breakfast-And-Brunch-Recipes.com.  The site consists mostly of quiches and casseroles it seemed, so I just picked a basic one and went with it.  After reading the ingredients, there was no way it could turn out bad.

I preheated my oven to 350 degrees and prepared a 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray.

In my skillet, I began browning a pound of Italian sausage.  Normally I would buy the links from meat cooler at the back of the store and cut them open when I got home, but I was feeling cheap, so I went with the breakfast sausage variety--you know, the 1-pound tube of sausage you find in the cheese cooler?  Yeah...that one.  This brand was sage flavored though, so it sounded good to me.  I also added a chopped onion to saute with the meat, even though the recipe says to add the onion in raw, at a later point in the recipe.


While that cooked up, I prepared the rest of the dish--I combined a bag of frozen hash-browns, a can of cream of mushroom condensed soup (I love the sound condensed soup makes when it plops of of the can...**SCHPLOOP**), 1 cup of sour cream, and about 2 cups of cheddar cheese.  Now you're supposed to mix this all up, but I kept making a mess, and had to transfer everything to a bigger bowl...  Silly me, guess my eyes were bigger than my bowl...or something like that...

Now that everything is mixed up, I put it in my baking dish.  It looked kinda lonely, so I added some mozzarella on top.  Ah...much better.  Cheese makes everything better...
After baking for 30 minutes, I took it out and added some french fried onions to the top.  These remind me of Thanksgiving and green bean casserole (which I HATE) but I added them anyway.  They aren't really that bad...it's the green beans that gross me out. :-)
15 minutes later...it's ready to eat!  Well, it's ready to come out of the oven anyway.  Let it sit for about 10 minutes so all the gooey goodness can come together and make the dish delicious.
Yum-o!  Wait...where are the eggs, you ask?  You can't have breakfast casserole without eggs, you scream...  Well, I wondered that too...but after eating every last bit of this recipe (that's right, we didn't throw any leftovers away this time) I could care less about the eggs!  Eggs are for the birds!  (bad joke, I know...)

-Shorty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be afraid to say hello. Shorty loves to know you're out there