Vegetables in a Cobbler?? Well, Why Not?


I know, I know, I'm a week behind again.  I have been sick for over a month.  I got over bronchitis only to get better and immediately succumb to the worst allergies, EVER!!  Thankfully, I'm almost back to normal and it's time to get caught up.  So here I sit with my cup of tea (I'm a huge tea drinker.  I have about 20 flavors on hand at any given time.), a waiting book, some great music, and a post I haven't been looking forward to doing.  Not because I'm tired of sharing with you wonderful people (There are people out there, right?  I hope.  Hello?), but because it was just so lackluster it bores me to even think about it again.

So last week I had a cookbook again.  I was initially excited because of the title, The Church Supper Cookbook - A Special Collection of Over 375 Recipes from Families and Churches Across the Country.  It made me think of those wonderful little spiral bound capsules of great regional and family recipes that you can pick up in small towns across the country.  This, however, was not one of those.

Now what, you may ask, is a vegetable cobbler and why does it sound oddly repulsive.  Well that's because you're instantly thinking of the deliciousness of a sweet cobbler such as peach or blackberry.  Clear your mind of those images.  Jiggle your head around if you have to so that they'll go away. (Please note that it is not my fault if you do this at work and suffer mockery.  It was merely a suggestion not a command.)  Okay now that our minds are clear... wait what were we talking about again?  I think I cleared my mind a little too much, not that that's terribly hard for me.  Oh yes, a vegetable cobbler is a savory version which has the same basic principle of something baked in a dough.  Here's how it went down...

Grab yourself a bag of frozen, mixed veggies.  Most of you will probably use the same mix I did which is the generic, and cheap, blend of carrots, peas, corn, and green beans.   Now heat those puppies up in some broth on the stove.  I used chicken broth, but it can easily be made with vegetable broth for a vegetarian spin.

This won't take terribly long so it's best to get started on your dough mixture.  Throw your flour, corn meal, baking powder, and seasonings into a mixing bowl and beat in eggs and milk or broth.  I used a mix of broth and milk so that I could use up my leftover broth.  It'll look a little grainy when it's all blended, but that's okay, it's the cornmeal.

Once your veggies are heated up simply pour them into a greased pan, juice and all.  I know this seems odd, but the moisture will actually bake off so don't toss the juice.  Now spread your batter across the top of the vegetable mixture.  It will be a little difficult to spread because of the juiciness of the veggies.  Just do your best. Okay that's it.  Throw it in the oven for 20-25 minutes and wait.

Hmmm, lets see...  This week I'm feeling a bit country.  I suggest Lee Ann Womack's I May Hate Myself in the Morning which has a wonderful old country vibe and, of course, my new country song of the moment Lady Antebellum's Need You Now.  I hope you enjoy.  Now back to our cobbler.

After the allotted time, pull it out of the oven, sprinkle it with cheese, and toss it back in to let it melt. 


And your done.  Yup, that's it.  That's the whole thing.  To add a little more too it, Shorty, whipped up a bag of Ore Ida Steam and Mash potatoes he picked up for a buck at Wally World.  They're super simple to make and a nice compliment to a dish, or in this case they made the dish.  I personally mixed everything together because the cobbler was so bland and dull.

I know I'm supposed to make everything sound yummy and wonderful, that is a part of the food blogger's creed, right, however, I don't feel right pimping dishes that just don't cut it.  I have made similar dishes before that were fantastic so don't write this one out completely.  Perhaps someone can take it and really crank it up a few notches.  If you do, let me know what you did.

Vegetable Cobbler

4        Cups cooked mixed vegetables (limas, peas, string beans, corn, and/or carrots)
1 1/2  Cups stock
1        Teaspoon oregano, dill-weed, or thyme
1/2     Teaspoon pepper
1 1/2  Cups whole wheat flour
2         Teaspoons baking powder
1         Teaspoon salt
1/2      Cup cornmeal
2         Eggs, beaten
1         Cup milk or broth
1/4 - 1/2 Cup grated sharp cheese

Grease 9" x 13" dish.  heat vegetables in stock and pour all into greased dish.  Stir together pepper, baking powder, salt, flour, cornmeal, and oregano, dill-weed, or thyme.  Add eggs and milk or broth, and mix until well distributed.  Spread batter over vegetables.  Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  Immediately after removing from oven, sprinkle with grated cheese. 

Whew, we made it threw this post.  Trust me, my next one will be much more yum-tastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be afraid to say hello. Shorty loves to know you're out there