Quickfire Challenge - Cheese Sticks

So last Friday (my day off for the week) I was watching the Rachel Ray show, and she had chef Rocco DiSpirito on as a guest: he made baked fried cheese!  Talk about comfort food!!!  And the best part...there were 3 main ingredients!!!  I had to try this recipe as soon as humanly possible...

So I got my ingredients together; string cheese, egg whites, and bread crumbs.  Chances are most of us have these three things already in the house.  His recipe says to beat the eggs until foamy, but peaks haven't formed (I beat them a little too long, but oh well...)  He also calls for Panko bread crumbs, but I couldn't find any at Wal-Mart that day, so regular bread crums would have to suffice.


Now roll a cheese stick in flour, shake it off, dip it in the egg whites, and roll them in the bread crumbs.  Stick them on a baking sheet with a rack, and bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes.  Now...resist the temptation to devour the molten mozarella...the joy delivered by molten cheese is not outweighed by the pain induced when you burn the roof of your mouth...  Ok, it's been 30 seconds, now you can eat!!!



How easy is that?!?  These were so good...and will definately be made again and again...  I have a feeling they would go really well with the spicy tomato sauce I made in my Dollar Store Delights post.

You can find Rocco's complete recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be afraid to say hello. Shorty loves to know you're out there