Eat The City: Pupusas, Yuca, and Tamales Oh My!

So we didn't cook this week, burn out don't you know, but that's okay because it gives me a good starting point for a new feature on the blog.  We eat out at least once a week, (I know, I know) but we always try to make it fun and different.  So I've decided that I want to highlight a few of the places, and dishes, that we try here in the Greater Dallas area.  Hopefully it will inspire you local readers to get out and try more eclectic eats.  Even if you're not in the area, I bet you can find similar places in your area. 



So lets start of with something super fun.  Last weekend we stopped at a small hole-in-the-wall Salvadoran restaurant called Pupusas Mama Tita in Carrollton.  They specialize in a wonderful dish called pupusa.  I can hear you all now, "Pup-wha-sas??"  I know it sounds odd, but it is heavenly.  Most of you have probably heard of gorditas, even if you don't remember them immediately.  Taco Bell turned them into a household word a few years ago.  Yo quero Taco Bell.  They're one of the places I have no fear of encountering beef, because there is nothing made from beef in the entire place.  Anyway, gorditas are like thick tortillas that are usually wrapped around some sort of filling, similar to a soft taco.  Pupusas are like gorditas only the filling is actually cooked inside the dough.  So imagine a thick tortilla full of cheese and other yummy goodness.  It's incredible. 

Since the menu was in Spanish (the clientel is most Spanish or Salvadoran) we asked the guy behind the counter about them.  He told us about each pupusas and once he was done I simply said "Yes."  He said "What" and I said "Yes, we will take one of each."  So we sampled all six of the non-beef flavors they had.  There was Queso (a delicious white cheese), Revueltas (shredded pork with cheese), Frijol y queso (beans and cheese), and then three special ones.  One made with cheese and zucchini, one made with cheese and a Salvadoran flower, and one made with shrimp.  Oh man I'm drooling just thinking about them.  They were all so delicious.  I mean I really can't pick a favorite.  Okay, okay, if you push me I can, but I'll need to sample them all again just to be sure. I might even need to try them a couple of more times.  :o)  Pupusas are served with a slaw made of cabbage and jalapenos and a wonderful, yet mild, hot sauce.  Both have great flavors and work well with the dish. 


We also ordered Yuca con chicharron (Yucca root with pork).  Despite what you may think about Yucca, if you've ever even heard of it before, it is similar to a potato in texture.  Fried they are like large, delicious french fries.  I especially like to dip them in the hot sauce.  The chicharron is amazing.  It's like little chunks of a pork pot roast.  The meat is so tender and just melts in your mouth. 


To top off our evening of decadence, we ordered two tamales.  One is a Tamal de gallina (chicken tamale) which is served in a banana leaf.  It's full of a shredded chicken blend that has a perfect flavor for tamales.  The other was a Tamal de elote solo (corn tamale).  It's like the most delicious cornbread you've had wrapped in a corn husk. 

We actually went back the next day (I know, how scandalous!) and order everything again plus an order of Tamales de elote (2), which are the corn tamales with cream and cheese.  The cream is slightly sweet and almost gives the dish a dessert feel.  The cheese is a slice of hard cheese that blends nicely with the cream.

Run, don't stop, over to Pupusas Mama Tita or Google Salvadoran food or pupusas to find a place close to you.  Trust me when I say that you will not regret it.  Open your mind, open your palate, and enjoy a new experience.  You may find a new favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be afraid to say hello. Shorty loves to know you're out there